CPHLN supports the following Issue groups:
- LPR - Laboratory Preparedness and Response
- WFSE - Water / Food Safety and Enterics
- Laboratory Standardization
- RCA - Reference Center Advisory
CPHLN also support the following task groups:
Laboratory Standardization Issue Group
Federal - Graham Tipples ((PHAC/NML)
Provincial - Sam Ratnam (Newfoundland)
Many laboratories across Canada provide diagnostic and reference tests for reportable and communicable diseases. With no standardization in place the various public and private labs were using various testing methods to achieve a common goal. This created a complex set of results that were difficult to interpret.
In 2004 this issue was raised by CPHLN members who have since worked together to establish and continuously develop standards and tools to ensuring accurate, comparable and interpretable surveillance data.
The purpose of the Laboratory Standardization Issue Group is to foster standards development based on best practices.
The Laboratory Standardization Issue Group identified four priorities to address during the 2009-2010 cycle:
- Standardization of laboratory protocol for Gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia (GC)
- Development of external reference standards for the HBV- Rubella task group
- Creation of a laboratory network for the standardization of HPV Testing
- Development of Syphilis diagnostic guidelines